Bengt J. Erikson
"One of the pleasures of tapestry weaving is the extreme slowness of the process. It encourages me to ponder the tiniest moves, no matter if the image is simple or complex. The effort becomes a luxury."
Bengt Erikson was born in Finland in 1943. He received his education at the Institute of Industrial Art. In 1969 he emigrated to the USA. In New York he worked as a textile designer from 1970 to 1994. He learned to weave in 1994. He now lives with his spouse in Santa Fe, NM.
Tapestry Artists of Puget Sound 1997 – 2006, President 2003-2006 Northwest Designer Craftsmen 2003 - 2006
- "Upon Reflection: Tapestry Art in Washington State", Washington Trade and Convention Center, Seattle, 1997.
- "Tapestry in a New Light", Tapestry Artists of Puget Sound, Mercer Island Gallery, Seattle, 1998.
- "Contemporary West Coast Tapestry", Washington Trade and Convention Center, Seattle, 2000.
- Cancer Lifeline show, Seattle, 2001
- "Half-Passed 12: Moments in Tapestry", The Fine Line, St. Charles, IL, 2001
- "Tapestry 2001: A Weaving Odyssey", ONDA Studio & Gallery, Portland, OR, 2001
- "Tapestry: The Woven Image", Bainbridge Arts and Crafts, Bainbridge Island, WA, 2002
- "Tapestry is Art", The Morris Graves Museum of Art, Eureka, CA, & The Grants Pass Museum of Art, Grants Pass, OR, 2002
- "Making Passes", The Blue Heron Gallery, Vashon, WA, 2003
- Northwest Designer Craftsmen, Arts Council of Snohomish County Gallery.Everett, WA, 2003
- "Looking Forward, Glancing Back: Northwest Designer Craftsmen at 50".Bellingham, 2004 (traveling show)
- Northwest Artists Show, Nordic Heritage Museum, Seattle, 2005.
- "Tapestry by Hand", Kittredge Gallery, University of Puget Sound, 2005
- TAPS Show, Tacoma Public Library, Tacoma, WA, 2005.
- "Tapestry on the Edge", Nordic Heritage Museum, Seattle, 2006.
- "Bengt Erikson Retrospective", Long Gallery, Academy Village. Tucson, AZ, 2007.
- Marigold Arts Gallery, Santa Fe, NM, 2007.
- Northern New Mexico Art Gallery, 2009.
- Collected Works Santa Fe June and July, 2013
- Contemporary Tapestry Gallery Santa Fe September and October, 2014
- Contemporary Tapestry Gallery Santa Fe, Recent Works January and February, 2015